Sepia Saturday

Sepia Saturday

Saturday, February 28, 2015

Valentine's Continued.........From the Past.



My Grandfather Charles Thomas Burgus with his bride Grace Elizabeth Turner Burgus.  I originally was going to share this on Valentine's day but things got too distracting so I just have saved it for now. The last photo I share today is the one that inspired the whole posting. I don't have a date for this marriage. I am searching cousin's things and found out the first grandchild was born in 1928. So this photo has to be around the early 1900's,



The first four of ten children that were born are shown here with Cecil, Carl, Ruby and Mary Burgus.  This photo is a new one that I had never seen before now. It was shared by my first cousin.  She is one of the older of my first cousins who has photos of my grandparents in their younger days.  Her mother, my aunt Ruby, is the little girl standing by her dad.


Fast forward with the then 10 children.  I am guessing the date here to be 1937 or later. I don't know but my dad, front left, would have been 20 years old being born in 1917. It was said that Grandma Burgus had scarlet fever as an adult and her hair fell out from it.  Her hair came back in as pure white.


Charlie and Grace ready to go to a family picnic at the Murray Park where all ten children with spouses and many grandchildren attended.


Here is a new photo for me to see from my cousin's sharing of it. Charlie and Grace take a trip from the central United States, Murray, Iowa in 1948.  They took a train all the way to the west coast to Washington State, to visit their youngest son Donald and his wife Eileen.  They are holding their grandson Gary. He was born in 1948. 

Concerns were made from their grown up children as they were too elderly to make the trip. The very next year in 1949  Charlie did die. It looks like the trip was a lot of fun for them. Charlie had heard stories from his grandfather about crossing the ocean from Germany and he wanted to see that ocean. Being from the younger end of the family I never met my grandfather.  I did know my grandmother but she had reached an age where she didn't communicate with her grandchildren.  She lived another 20 years or more beyond her husband's death.

Join me in visiting the other blogs on Sepia Saturday who are share photos from the past and stories from the past.  Click here to find the listing on the original Sepia Saturday site.


7 comments:

Wendy said...

What a lovely set of photos over time. It seems like the 10 kids remained close. That's nice.

Alan Burnett said...

All five are wonderful photographs but it is the third one that stands out - the one with the ten children. You can almost see the genepool, strands which link all twelve faces together. Family defined.

21 Wits said...

The beach photo is my favorite, but they are all rich with memories for you!

La Nightingail said...

My goodness, what a family! And as Wendy mentioned, it seems they stayed in contact with each other over the years - one way and another. Coming from a family that has done that - including cousins, it truly is a blessing and means so much to everyone.

Jofeath said...

Lovely photographs. My favourite is that last natural shot by the ocean. If they were fit enough to travel, then good on them for doing so!

Tattered and Lost said...

That last photo is just wonderful! Ever so happy to be seeing the Pacific Ocean, though it might have been Puget Sound. I always imagine what it would be like to grow up and live in a landlocked state. I have almost always lived either next to or in the Pacific Ocean.

A Colorful World said...

Wonderful post! I love the little boy wearing the uniform!