Sepia Saturday

Sepia Saturday

Saturday, April 14, 2018

Fishing.....

A couple of G.I.s trying their hand at fishing with the local kids. The place is Belgium where my dad was stationed before he went to the front to fight in WW II.  The bridge looks like a temporary one after the original was damage by bomb warfare.

Crossing the river by boat because the bridges are gone. My dad was a farm boy in southern Iowa where there were bodies of water for boats. He then had a fascination for them and was fortunate to by a fishing boat is his older years thirty years after being in the war.



My father is exploring another vessel in the same area of Belgium. I see there isn’t a sail to go with the mast. I like the little roof piece that is covering a portion of an opening of the boat.

My dad took a shot of one of the smaller boats in which he two traveled in to come over to Europe. The smaller the boat the worse it is to get sea sickness while being on the ocean.  He was extremely sick from that crossing in 1944.








The theme was a boy with a wheel barrow with fish to eat in it.  My extension to things in the water is a far stretch but I really wanted to share something today. WW ll era may have been in the same time frame of the little boy at the harbor.

Others share photos on their Sepia Saturday’s blogs.  Click on the HERE to go see other sharing of photos and words.

6 comments:

Jofeath said...

Good old fishing and boat photos to share. Did you really mean fashioning?

L. D. said...

No, I really don’t know how the word check changed it from fishing all the way to fashioning. The spell check seems to be more sensitive and wrong these days.

Anonymous said...

That bridge doesn't look very stable. I can't tell if the kids are worried or not. It sure is a great picture though. As are all the rest. It is so interesting to me to see photographs of soldiers interacting with the locals.

La Nightingail said...

Your picture of the GIs fishing off that broken-down bridge in Belgium reminded me of the old falling-apart bridge over the Truckee River below Lake Tahoe my brother and I used to fish off of with our Dad many long years ago. :)

Barbara Rogers said...

Yes, a nice collection of WW II boats...and I feel for the sailors on that little tiny one in high seas.

Mike Brubaker said...

Small boats certainly played a very important part of the war. The river boat looks no different than medieval boats.