Sepia Saturday

Sepia Saturday

Saturday, June 19, 2010

The house on the hill, big pine tree.......





My father bought this house on South Kossuth street in Osceola, Iowa.  It had been abandoned more years than I can guess. The property was willed to the Presbyterian Church in town and there it sat.
My dad had retired from farming and moved to town and decided to build a house.  He found this property and the rest was history.  In 1978 he build a ranch house on this site.  Thankfully he did not take the historic tree.


I have many things that my dad had pulled out of that upstairs. A couple of photo albums and loose photos like the one above.  I have a couple of things that will help me to identify the owners as there was a diary left in the house and some of the pictures have names on them. Very few have full last names but I really have not had time to work on it. 


This being a history blog and a non family history blog, I wanted to share this photo.  It reminds me of the early paintings done by Manet or Degas.  I like the clarity of the photo and the clothing.  I am assuming that these are some of the inhabitants of the house as the photographer was Swearingen of Osceola, Iowa.   I may not have the name correct as the S could be a T or an L.  I have watched a blogger friend in Minnesota dance around these old photos until she found out great details.  I will start dancing but at a later date.  I am thinking that this was taken in the middle 1800's or early 1900's.  Thanks for stopping in today.
Check out all the others who are participating in Sepia Saturday by Clicking Here.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this photograph Larry. The woman's dress is especially lovely. I look forward to learning more. Thanks for sharing it today.

Natasha and Jesse said...

What memories and what wonderful photos too. I love how they provide a little bit of information, but part of the fun is searching out the information about the ancestors ourselves. Natasha from: http://days-of-natasha.blogspot.com/

Nancy said...

It nearly breaks my heart to see old homes abandoned after years of loving care. You didn't say exactly, but I suspect this one was torn down? What a beautiful - and interesting - photograph. I wonder why they were looking away from the camera instead of into it.

Martin said...

Amazing what you can find in old, abandoned houses. Even more amazing to think that people left such treasures behind.

Fascinating post. Do update us if you discover more detail.

Unknown said...

That's a wonderful old farmhouse, tho definitely looks to be in the ramshackle phase when the photo was taken. I agree with you about the photo--it's a very well-composed image. Thanks!

North County Film Club said...

It's a beautiful photo. I guess I'll have to wait til you start dancing to hear the rest of the story.

Nana Jo said...

I have always been fascinated by old, derelict houses. The photo is beautiful and no doubt would be someone's long lost treasure. I think perhaps it is a wedding photo. I look forward to reading more about you dancing!

Unknown said...

We have been through Osceola, IA; on our travels I am always fascinated with the old houses; interesting memorabilia that you have acquired. To me the woman's dress appears to be one she could have sewn or perhaps someone near to her made for her. Oh the tales the boards of that home could tell if only it could speak...

Far Side of Fifty said...

Maybe next winter you can dance! I think a Wedding photo too..it is a fancy dress..1890 to 1910. It is interesting that his suit and pants do not match..I think they may have been different colors. His shoes look brand new:)

Vicki Lane said...

A lovely photo -- I like the way she is gazing off. Into the future? Or the past?

Sr Crystal Mary Lindsey said...

What wonderful stories could be told within the walls of that old house. Families living and growing, working and sharing...and now silent.
The wedding photo left behind. One has to wonder why? The groom looks at the camera with a happy confidence. The bride shyly looks away. I have to wonder why another photo wasn't taken with her looking towards the photographer? Or maybe she refused to look. Was she unhappy? Perhaps the groom was not her choice?
She seems forelorn as though dreaming of elsewhere? Who can say..a forever secret!!
Keep sharing friend.

Sr Crystal Mary Lindsey said...

I magnified the couple to have a second look..
Its facinating.
Actually, when I looked closer the man didn't look confident at all.
Both looked almost fearful, and unsure? It didn't seem a happy day, but then phots taken in the past were always serious??
I am so curious now!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I am fascinated with that picture of the couple too. I would agree, maybe a wedding. Maybe you could dance up a magic swirl and the info would come out. Fun to try. Let us know if you find anything. Thanks for stopping by.
QMM